Monday, April 05, 2004  
Opening Day Recap

Cubs - 7 Reds - 4


Well game one is in the books. I was able to have the privilege of watching the game on TV unlike other Cubs bloggers who were stuck at work. I took some notes on various things that I saw. I am going to highlight them in 4 categories: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly, The Errors (being errors by Joe Morgan)

The Good

  • Cubs start off with a win, without Mark Prior
  • Michael Barrett gets 2 hits, one of them a triple, scores a run and knocks in a run. (not bad from the 8 hole)
  • Dusty Baker recognized that Kerry did not have it anymore and pulled him after 5 innings and 93 pitches
  • The Bullpen (4 innings, 1 hit, 0 runs, 2 k's)
  • 5 out of the 7 runs scored by the Cubs were started with 2 down and no one on
  • Corey Patterson took a Walk
  • Cubs Win!!! Cubs Win!!!


The Bad

  • Kerry Wood gave us only 5 innings yet still pitched 93 pitches
  • Corey Patterson looked as if he was swinging for the fences, which could mean he is still not going to be disciplined at the plate this year.
  • Alou hits a single that ends up being a double play in the 9th thanks to some bad baserunning by Grudzielanek and Patterson.
  • Joe Borowski did not look sharp. His fastball is slower than last year and he walked 2 men before finally getting the job done.


The Ugly

  • Kerry Wood's ERA after one game: 1-0 with an ERA of 7.20 (Ouch)
  • Adam Dunn's horrible attempt at catching a fly ball in the 8th inning


The Errors

  • Joe Morgan choked on his tongue (or at least that's the way it sounded) in the pre-game and just went silent mid-sentence. I thought he may have died.
  • Said that the reason Wood's speed was a little low in the beginning of the year was because it is tough to go from pitching in Florida and then go to cold weather. (Sorry Joe, but the Cubs play in Arizona)
  • Said that in the NLCS, Prior pitched game 7 and Wood pitched game 6. (Wrong again Joey)


That leads me to the Player of the Game. I think there will be some people who disagree with me on this but I am sticking to my pick. I am designating Michael Barrett the player of the game in the opener, not Alou. Here is my reason. Alou had a huge double that did knock in 3 runs. However, he is expected to do that kind of thing when he is hitting in the 4 spot. Barrett came in with nothing but bad expectations and had 2 hits, one of them being a triple. He also had an RBI and scored a run. He did all of this from the 8 spot which everyone knows is a very hard place to hit because of the lack of quality pitches thrown your way. I think there will be people who disagree. If so, voice your opinion.

Finally, I am very glad I do not teach or attend this school. Poor Kids!!!

Contact Info
Great Seats: The Best of TVFTB
Sponsored Links
The Cubs Blog Army
Writers we love & hate!!!
Sleeping with the Enemy
Good Baseball Links
Syndicate or Search this site
Bleacher Archives